Of Simple Words & Simple Things
//* Quotes.. *//
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
The best proof of love is trust.
Joyce Brothers
You can't blame gravity for falling in love.
Albert Einstein
Monday, May 16, 2005
Nice movie...
I just received a call from this guy from a recruitment agency that I sent out job application to. BUT the problem is: I can't seem to recall what job is that (cos I sent them out more than a week ago I believe). Think I sounded so blur on the phone, even the guy realized it. Before I know it, our (really short) conversation has ended. So I'm still puzzled...and jobless! How weird, and I kind of regret it now. Should have just asked more about it before saying anything else..
Hope I still have a job...
Over the weekend, Dear rented vcd and we watched it together-- Shawshank Redemption (1994). An intriguing show, with lots of content in the conversations and voiceovers. But there were so many things that I didn't realize or take note until after I read some webpages on it. The tag line: "Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free."
One part of the movie that struck me the most...
Then one day in the year 1954, Brooks goes beserk when his parole comes through - he holds a knife at Heywood's throat so he'll be judged crazy and not be released into the frightening real world: "It's what they've done. I got-I got no choice...It's the only, it's the only way they'd let me stay."
He's just institutionalized...The man's been in here fifty years, Heywood, fifty years. This is all he knows. In here, he's an important man, he's an educated man. Outside he's nothin' - just a used-up con with arthritis in both hands. Probably couldn't get a library card if he tried...these walls are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, it gets so you depend on 'em. That's 'institutionalized'...They send you here for life and that's exactly what they take, the part that counts anyway.
Just before he departs the prison the next dawn, Brooks also releases his full-grown pet crow/raven Jake at the library window: "I can't take care of you no more, Jake. You go on now. You're free." The old con steps cautiously through the main gate of Shawshank, clutches the bar on the bus seat in front of him as he is transported to Portland where it is even terrifying to cross the street. The outside world presents itself as a new 'prison':
(voice-over) Dear Fellas: I can't believe how fast things move on the outside. I saw an automobile once when I was a kid but now they're everywhere. The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry.
A montage follows Brooks through his new life on the outside. He is placed in a half-way flop house called the Brewer, and is employed as a grocery-bagger at the Foodway Market. Lonely, afraid, melancholy, and disoriented in the outside world, he has difficulty sleeping. He worries about the fate of Jake as he feeds pigeons in the park. He even contemplates shooting the Foodway manager (to force a return to Shawshank), but he's even too old for that. As he packs his few belongings into a bag, he narrates, in voiceover, that he plans on leaving: "I don't like it here. I'm tired of being afraid all the time. I've decided not to stay." He climbs up onto a chair and then onto a table and carves a message into the wall with his pocketknife: "BROOKS WAS HERE." And then he kicks out the table from under his weight and hangs himself - his feet dangling. The end of Brooks' 'Dear Fellas' note is read outloud by Andy in the prison yard following his death.
Well well...gonna postpone tuition lessons later. Cos I wanna catch Survivor Finale!!! Oh yeah....
::: - ::: - ::: - ::: - ::: - ::: Simply 6:31 PM ::: - ::: - ::: - ::: - ::: - :::
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com